When you’re hurt on the job in Arizona, under Arizona law you’re automatically covered by your employer’s workers comp insurance. However, in the event that your workers compensation claim is denied, it may be in your best interest to review key workers comp and law terminology.

ADA — The Americans with Disabilities Act. Prohibits the discrimination of Americans with disabilities under federal law.

Applicant — Sometimes referred to as EE. The employee who has been injured.

Benefit structure — the structure of benefits that determines what workers are entitled to under workers compensation insurance. Workers compensation benefits can include: medical care, death benefits, vocational rehabilitation services, permanent disability benefits, and temporary disability benefits. Of compensation costs, 70% make up wages and salaries while the remaining 30% is made up of benefits.

Cumulative trauma injury — injuries caused by repeated exposure. For instance, hearing loss caused by loud equipment.

Date of Injury — also known as DOI. The date of the event the worker sustained injury. In the case of a specific injury, this date should be the day on which the injury was sustained. In the case of cumulative injury, this date should be the day on which the worker realized they had sustained injury from their work.

Mail audit — a type of audit that requires you to personally send workers compensation information regarding your employees to your insurance carrier. Also called a voluntary audit.

Workers compensation audit — a review of the original premium used to pay compensation during the the policy term to determine if the amount of the premium was correct.

Workers compensation lawyer — a workers compensation lawyer is an attorney that represents you in the court of law after you have been injured while working on the job. A workers compensation lawyer can also argue on behalf of your claim if it has been denied.

Reviewing the correct terminology in the event that your claim has been denied allows you to feel more in control and knowledgeable about your case. After you’ve understood the workers compensation terminology, consult a workers compensation attorney for further legal advice and how to proceed.